Rhigos is a village between Glynneath and Hirwaun in Glamorganshire, South Wales. The original Rhigos was a small hamlet consisting of several farms and cottages.
In 1943 the decision was made to build a munitions factory between the main Aberdare to Swansea road and the railway line to bolster the production of ammunition for the war in Europe. This was the start of the industrial estate.
Other large and small companies followed like Sobells, Dunlop and Engart Fans. With the factories came people to work in them and a need grew for more housing. Initially temporary housing was built on land near the factories and they were called Beacon Road, Mountain View and Neath Road. The demand for housing increased and in the early 1950's the local authority built a housing estate known as "The Bryn". The building of this estate allowed the demolition of the temporary houses in Beacon Road, Mountain View and Neath Road. In the 1940's opencast mining moved into the area providing more work and also changing the landscape of Rhigos.
Rhigos Community council thanks Rhigos memories for use of photographs and information posted on their site
Rhigos Community Council endeavours to maintain the accuracy and reliability of this web site. It does not however make any representations about the accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability of the information, products, services and related graphics contained in this web site for any purpose, and cannot be held liable for any loss or inconvenience caused by reliance on the contents of this web site or arising from the use of this web site.
For more information and to complete the survey please visit the RCT Website